Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

My emplyer is telling me i cannot talk to an old employee…

Customer Question
My emplyer is telling...

My emplyer is telling me i cannot talk to an old employee the obe who hired me origibally about my personal harrasment issues ive been exoeriencing at work

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Ca

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

At will full time

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/16/2017
Employment Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 5 months ago
Roy Hadavi

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed California attorney with extensive labor law experience. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Please give me a moment while I formulate a response.

Are you there?
Employment Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 5 months ago

Yes, typing now.

Employment Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 5 months ago

Answer: Your employer cannot prevent you from communicating with a former employee, especially regarding an issue of harassment. Although, (as you are aware) California is an at-will employment state, which means that your employer can normally terminate your employment for this type of situation. Since the matter involves a harassment claim, any negative action that your employer takes against you (reducing benefits, reducing hours, discouraging comments regarding this matter and/or terminating your employment), would open your employer to a retaliation claim.

Rating & Additional Questions: Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please do not rate my service. Please ask me as many questions as you need, until you feel I have earned an excellent rating. There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating! A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.

Even if they have a document signed thst you will mot discuss issues eith past employers . Is that legal
Employment Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 5 months ago

Such a document is not legal when it comes to these types of matters. An employer cannot prevent you from discussing a matter such as this. The only exception is if either you or the former employee have signed a Settlement Agreement (regarding a prior harassment issue) that included a confidentiality clause.

Thank you.
Employment Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 5 months ago

You're very welcome.

Roy Hadavi
Roy Hadavi
Roy Hadavi