Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I was the manager of a store, Carolina Home, Raleigh, and…

Customer Question
I was the manager...

I was the manager of a store, Carolina Home, Raleigh, and they suddenly closed the store without even getting a chance to gather my belongings. Also my paycheck, $1220

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

N.C.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

My paycheck bounced causin my account to be $785 in the hole, and $111 in fees. They still owe $800 for a weeks work due on the 24th and I

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

'm afraid it won't happen. Full time

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Employment Law
11/16/2017
Employment Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thanks so much for your patience on this. I'm very sorry to hear about your situation. It's very unfortunate. Under the law , if a person is terminated from their employment, then the employer has to provide them all of their earned wages up until that time. If the check bounced, then you may be able to file a wage hour claim with your local department of labor.

This appears to be a classic breach of contract if they failed to have sufficient funds to pay you the $ that you were owed at the time. A breach of contract just simply means that one party was obligated to perform and they have either have not performed or have said that they will not perform. Typically, the aggrieved party is entitled to be returned to the same position they were in before the breach. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for advising of a breach of contract. It's a bit easier (and cheaper) than going through litigation and I have seen it be effective in the past. If this doesn’t work, sadly, the only other option is to either go through an informal mediation or file a lawsuit in your local court.

This website is also pretty cool because they have some state-specific breach of contract forms that you can use as well. Click here to choose your state and get started.

What other questions did you have for me?

I want to cancel this entire conversation. Do not charge my card anything.
Thanks for nothng

Could you help me understand what's making you unhappy? I'm a bit confused.

Tina, Lawyer