Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

The company i worked for refuse to pay my vacation time

Customer Question
The company i worked...

The company i worked for refuse to pay my vacation time after termination what can i do

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Noth carolina

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

There was alot of talk about being to old.two other people are joining in this complaint.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Employment Law
11/16/2017
Employment Lawyer: legalgems, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

I am sorry to hear that your employer is not paying for vacation time.

While there is no law that requires an employer to pay for vacation time, if this is a benefit offered by an employer (verbally, in a written contract, in policy manuals, etc) then failure to compensate for this time is considered a wage violation.

A complaint can be filed here:

https://www.labor.nc.gov/workplace-rights/employee-rights-regarding-time-worked-and-wages-earned/how-file-wage-complaint

Additionally a personal attorney can be retained to pursue a civil action which may result in the award of the unpaid vacation pay, as well as double damages as "liquidated damages" to compensate plaintiff for the inconvenience.

If there was age discrimination and that resulted in termination that is actionable as a protected category.

1. file an EEOC complaint here:
https://www.eeoc.gov/employees/charge.cfm
2. bring a civil suit for hostile work environment, alleging that the employee was harassed due to their status in a protected class. Damages may include lost wages, pain and suffering, even punitive damages designed to punish the defendant.
Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.
Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned
5 stars *****
as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️
(no additional charges are incurred).
Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information
Thank you and take care.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;

If you have no further questions a positive rating is most appreciated (at no additional cost to you) and allows the site to credit my account for the time spent assisting you!

if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answerand I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Thanks!

The above information is for educational purposes only. A consultation with a private attorney is recommended so they can apply the law to your specific facts, and suggest the best course of action. An attorney can be located here:
http://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_education/public-information/how-do-i-find-a-lawyer-.html
Terms of service can be viewed here: