Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

My daughter has a misdemeanor on her record for spray

Customer Question
My daughter has a...

My daughter has a misdemeanor on her record for spray painting a park bench when she was 18. SHe is 22 now and has been working at Lowes for a month, after successfully passing the background check. She was just called intot he HR ddepartment and asked to provide them with a list of reocrds related to the "crime" she committed. Is this legal? What should she do? We live in Maine

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Maine

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

At will part time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I think someone who doesn't like her is behind this. She is also moving from a part-time position to a full-time

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Employment Law
11/16/2017
Employment Lawyer: LegalKnowledge, Attorney replied 9 months ago
LegalKnowledge, Attorney

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. Has she asked the basis for this? Does she know how they may have found out about this?

She was honest in application and passed background check. I asked her to ask the HR person for the request and the reason for request in writing. She has been in the job a month, so this seems unusual. I also told my daughter to NOT just run to court house for records and give to them before we connect w legal advice.

The site does not provide legal advice. We can provide her with information and there is no attorney-client privilege here. The situation does seem odd, if she already disclosed this and Lowes knew about this, when hiring her. I say this because I do not believe that every employee there, has a clean record, so something like this, should not just result in her termination. However, if she is working full time, they may want to look into this, so if they want to see the disposition/outcome of the case and they know about it, it may not hurt to just show them what they know.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!