Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

I need to find a lawyer to help me get my COBRA benefits

Customer Question

I need to find a lawyer to help me get my COBRA benefits reinstated after our appeal has been denied.
JA: Have you documented this or discussed it with HR?
Customer: HR hasn't returned our phone calls- yes we have everything documented
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: My husband left his job and we were on COBRA health insurance following that he was part time
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: My two sons have autism, and we used what we thought was an active insurance plan for the past 10 weeks after being told the cancelation was a mistake and would be taken care of Will this lawyer be able to represent me in California?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

I am sorry, but state law forbids any attorney on this site from representing any customer of this site. If you need local representation please use the same site used by other attorneys http://www.hg.org

Before you seek an attorney, have you exhausted all your rights? You said you filed an appeal, with whom? We can answer questions for you and perhaps point you to the right direction before you hire an attorney, but we simply cannot represent you. Let us know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I filed an appeal with our COBRA company, Tri-Ad

Thank you for your reply.

Before you get an attorney, you need to contact the US Department of Labor, as they handle COBRA complaints and if you were improperly cancelled, they would be the first step to resolve your issue. So you need to first call the US DOL and file your complaint with the Department of Labor at 1-***-***-****.

If you get denied by the US DOL then you would need a local attorney which you can get from the site mentioned above, to pursue the benefits though legal action.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.