Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I was denied employment on the bases of Bankruptcy on my…

Customer Question
I was denied employment...

I was denied employment on the bases of Bankruptcy on my credit report. Do I have any legal bases fro a discrimination suit?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? And has anything been officially filed?

Maryland

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Contract

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I can give more context over the phone

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Employment Law
11/15/2017
Employment Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Please take your time. The position I was denied employment was a technical position through a contracting agency and doesn't relate to banking employment.

Thanks so much for your patience. Generally, unfortunately, an employer is allowed to refuse to hire someone for any reason that is non-discriminatory. What I mean by that is that an employer cannot discriminate on issues of race, age, gender, or sexual orientation, religion, or religious affiliation. Many times, companies will hire companies to conduct background checks, including credit checks or checking court orders to determine if someone has been involved in any kind of litigation. Many times, a personal bankruptcy is often not going to be a bar for employment, but if the employer believes that it is a bar to employment, then they're allowed to not hire because personal finances are generally not protected from discrimination under the law. I'm very sorry. What other questions did you have for me?

Tina, Lawyer