Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I worked as a Vice President of a large Engineering

Customer Question
Hi, I worked as...

Hi, I worked as a Vice President of a large Engineering firm(HNTB). I managed the 5 Southern California offices for 18 months. I was able to grow the practice year over year. Sales were up by almost 42% and net revenue was up by 29% from $21 million to $27 million. I was suddenly called to my boss's office a Division President and told me he was terminating me for performance because it wasn't a right fit. An hour after I was terminated they announced my replacement. Another long time employee.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed the termination with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

I am 61 years old and Hispanic. I can't find a reason why they would terminate ,me. They gave me the option of 12 weeks of severance which I haven't accepted. Do I have a case.? If separated i would expect much more than 12 weeks.

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

I was at will

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No that's it.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Employment Law
11/15/2017
Employment Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
If their decision was discriminatory, yes. If not, it is an employment at will and you can still try to negotiate more.martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Tina, Lawyer