Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I was working in a dental office with the doctor and her…

Customer Question
I was working in...

I was working in a dental office with the doctor and her boyfriend does maintainance in the office, He came up to be and started asking me why I do not like him and I answered that I did not want to talk to him and just wanted to do my job. I felt like he continued to harrass me until I was physically shaking and upset. Is this a case for harrassment? I had to leave my job because it.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full time. I was the office management

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I dont think so

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Employment Law
11/15/2017
Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 9 months ago
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

This certainly sounds like harassment, but unfortunately what you must understand is that most forms of harassment are actually not against the law. In the context of employment, harassment is only actionable when the harassment relates directly to a legally protected trait, such as race or religion, in which case it becomes actionable under our civil rights laws. For instance, yelling racial slurs at you would be a form of actionable harassment. However, calling someone stupid or being generally confrontational with them is not harassment of the actionable variety.

You have not stated any facts which suggest that a legally protected trait is involved in the harassment you suffered. Therefore, while highly unprofessional on the part of this maintenance worker, the harassment they engaged in would probably not be against the law. You would probably correct in leaving this employment, as you deserve to be treated with respect and an environment where this sort of harassment occurs is not something you want to subject yourself to. However, as far as legal options go, there probably are not any, I'm afraid to say.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

* Disclaimer *

Just Answer is a venue for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed by these communications.