Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I was recruited from my company from the CEO of the company…

Customer Question
I was recruited from...

I was recruited from my company from the CEO of the company I currently work. My title is "Director of Opportunities". The CEO travels and is not present in the office 80% of the time. The executive team disagreed with my hiring and I feel have shunned me. My role has been depleting and delegated to other employees of which are being promoted to my same level. When I was hired, I was given an office. I am being told I will be moving out of my office and to an open area cube. I have only been with the company for 4 months. When recruited I came for the opportunity that was stated in my contract and made a lateral move in pay. I believe I have been subjected to: ***** ***** Dismissal, and Retaliation.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Tennessee

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full Time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have documented a timeline of events outlining each occurrence. This company's turnover is extremely high, since my 4 months I have witnessed 4 people either get fired or quit. There are only 27 employees.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Employment Law
11/15/2017
Employment Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thank you

You bet. Bear with me a moment...:-)

I can send you a word document with an outline of what has occurred that I think would help my matter and give you a better understanding.

Thanks so much for your patience. Do you have reason to believe that any of these issues of discrimination, constructive dismissal, or retaliation are in any way related to your age, race, gender, or sexual orientation?

I do.

I'm sorry to hear that. If that is the case, then this to me sounds like you would have a case of employment discrimination against this company that hired you as directory of opportunities, which is prohibited under state and federal law at 42 USC 2000e-2. The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission field office in your area will serve as the agency that would oversee the complaint, should you decide to file one. There are some basic processes that the EEOC files that I think you should be aware of, and I have listed them below:

The initial pre-complaint process can be found at 29 C.F.R. §1614.105. This is the process whereby you may bring this action to an Equal Employment Opportunity Counselor within 45 days. The Counselors must advise
individuals in writing of their rights and responsibilities, including the right to request a hearing after an investigation by the agency. The process may go through informal mediation wherein the employer and the employee try to come to a reasonable agreement. It’s voluntary and I highly recommend it in most cases.

Regardless, the EEO Counselor will issue a report based on their initial findings. Once the employee receives notice of the findings, they have 15 days to file a formal complaint.

The formal complaint process can be found at 29 C.F.R. §1614.106-108. Basically, the EEO will conduct a full investigation and come up with a Report of Investigation. The employee has the right to request an administrative hearing with an administrative judge after receiving the ROI or they may sue in a federal district court. Mediation is always still on the table. If the parties cannot mediate, then the parties will go through the administrative process or a federal civil proceedings and then the judge will issue a “Final Agency Decision” (for administrative hearings) or a ruling (for civil actions) If the employee doesn’t like the decision, then they can always appeal. A quick Google search will reveal your local Tennessee EEO office so check that out.

What other questions did you have for me?

Well, I paid $38.00 for this service and I already knew the above information. Can I get a list of lawyers in Nashville or some direction outside of what you stated above? I am already aware of EEOC steps I need to take. What I am looking for is help on what to bring to the EEOC and a Lawyer. Can you help me with that based on the information I provided?

I see what you mean. If you're looking for representation, the website will not be able to provide that, unfortunately.

One of the hardest things to do sometimes is find a lawyer that you can trust. Google searches are a good place to start, but usually the lawyers who pay the most can get bumped up to be on the first page regardless of their quality. One thing I recommend is going through your state’s lawyer referral service (LRS). The LRS in each state typically requires the attorney to have several years of practice, be free of discipline, and have adequate staffing to assist people. Here is the link for the Tennessee LRS click here. Did you have any other questions for me?

Tina, Lawyer