Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I am salary. My days off are sun an mon. I do not get

Customer Question
I am salary. My...

I am salary. My days off are sun an mon. I do not get Memorial Day , Labor Day , Christmas , and New Years , holidays this years because they all fall on Monday my normal day off. All other salary employees only have to work 4 days those weeks and get the paid holiday. Is that lawful? I thought if you had to treat all salary employees the same.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

No. Small business and they know little about business.

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

Again no. Small business. Veterinary clinic.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No. Just every where else I have worked I would get another day off if holiday fell on my normal day off and here they say tuff luck. A lot of holidays fall on Mondays . And I just lose those days off doesn't seem fair for exempt employees.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Employment Law
11/15/2017
Employment Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 5 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about your issue.

Unfortunately, however, it is not illegal. Employers are not required by law to pay their employees for Holidays. So, if your agreement with your employer results in you not getting paid for Holidays because of your schedule, the employer's action is regrettably legal eventhough you are not being treated the same way as other similarly situated employees.

I am sorry that I do not have better news for you.

Best wishes,

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law