Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

My husband was terminated today for harassment. A female…

Customer Question
My husband was terminated...

My husband was terminated today for sexual harassment. A female co-worker who was visibly inebriated at a trade show said he “grabbed her ass”. He went to tap her arm and she raised her arm and brushed her side. That’s the whole story.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Sorry Oregon. At will state

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full time. At will

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Employment Law
11/15/2017
Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. I am very sorry to hear about this. Can you please clarify what your question is? I very much look forward to helping you on this matter.

I’m sorry. Does he have any recourse? He was not given a chance to tell his side of the story, he was simply terminated.
My husband is sleeping and I’d rather not wake him. I’m just trying to process what, if any, our options may be.

Thank you.

I certainly appreciate your frustration with this apparently unjust termination, but I must tell you that employment in the state of Oregon is "at will" absent an express agreement to the contrary. At will employment can be terminated for any reason not amounting to discrimination on the basis of a legally protected trait (race, religion, gender, etc.) or retaliation for engaging in certain forms of legally protected conduct (filing a wage claim, taking FMLA leave, etc.). It doesn't matter whether the basis for termination is fair, reasonable or even TRUE.

Therefore, an employer can terminate an employee based on an accusation of sexual harassment, even without investigating it thoroughly or requesting an explanation from the accused employee before terminating them. All the terminated employee can do is attempt to reason with their employer, but their only real power is the power of persuasion.

I truly wish I could provide better news. If I can clarify anything at all for you, please do not hesitate to ask. It is my pleasure to assist you further if necessary....

Was there anything else I can do for you this evening? I tried to expedite your question...