Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

A Florida law question regarding termination of employment…

Customer Question
A Florida law question...

A Florida law question regarding termination of employment with a 10 year old employee. in the termination letter do we have to provide a reason? There is no contract in place and we would like to know until when are we obligated to pay his salary. do we have to or should we offer a severance package?

Lawyer's Assistant: Has the employee discussed the termination with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

I told the employee that he was terminated yesterday

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the workplace "at will" or union? Is the job hourly or salaried?

At will salary

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just want to make sure i am talking with a Florida lawyer and that I need the answers in writting via email

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/14/2017
Employment Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a Florida licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

Do you have any agreement or policy in place obligating you to provide a severance package?

no there is agreement or policy in place
please keep chatting

Posted in error. Please ignore.

Without an agreement to the contrary, you have no obligation to offer severance. You are only required to pay salary until he stops working.

You are, likewise, not legally required to give a reason to terminate an at will employee. Though, if you have cause it could render them ineligible for unemployment benefits.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Loren, can you send me the answer in email format?

I am not able to personally email you from within the JA website. You can copy it and paste it into an email to yourself or into a document which you can save to your computer. If you need further assistance you can click the Help link at the bottom of you question page or email *****@******.*** and the Customer Support department will correspond with you directly and assist you.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

I asked at the beginning to be able to receive an answer via email.this doesn't help me.

I am sorry. I have no way to email you from the JA website. I am not a JA employee, just a site user like you who happens to be a FL licensed attorney. If you contact JA customer care then they should be able to assist you getting an email of the thread.

can you send me an email to b******* regarding what we spoke about?

Contact customer care and they will email the thread to you.

The site does not allow experts to have contact offsite with JA customers.

Loren, Lawyer