Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I am in Massachusetts and needed some advice with

Hi, JA: Hi. How can I...
JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: i am in Massachusetts and needed some advice with negotiating a severance package. My employer is moving my current position to another state and I cannot relocate.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Massachusetts
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: At will
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just want to understand what my best options are and if presented a severance package, what options to ask for what to avoid. Basically, would like to continue to stay employed for the next 60-90 days, as I was promised and then be able to collect unemployment and take the severance simultaneously. Lastly, I had stellar reviews during my time there and I don’t want to sign anything that will damage my career in the future or prevent me from seeking employment elsewhere, including competitors
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/14/2017
Infolawyer, Lawyer
A reasonable severance typically includes 2 weeks per year of employment. It can also include an extended work period at you seek.
If there was any discrimination involved that can add additional compensation.martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.By being prepared and pressing your claim, the other side should feel the pressure and consider the risk of losing and legal fees. That realization can help bring about a settlement!Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Joycelaw
Joycelaw, Attorney
Phone call session started
Infolawyer, Lawyer