Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I was just put on corrective action for 90 days. Due to the…

I was just put...

I was just put on corrective action for 90 days. Due to the work load my doctor wants me to go out on disability. Can I still get fired while out on disability ?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Californina

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

We are not a union.. need to read employment agreement not sure about "at will". What does that mean

11/14/2017
John, Employment Lawyer

Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today. Please note that the website may ask you if you desire premium services, such as a phone call. I do not control these prompts, and you are not under any obligation to order premium services to get a full answer from me. If you do desire premium services, however, feel free to select that option. I will have an answer for you shortly, unless I require additional information. Please be patient while I may have to research some matters before providing a response. In the meantime you should save the url link or bookmark this webpage in case you become disconnected and need to return to this page at a later time.

You may be terminated while on disability if the employer can show that it would have terminated you absent the disability leave. The medical leave laws only protect you in the instance if you are terminated for taking the very medical leave; not for other reasons. In this situation because you're on corrective action for 90 days, your absence can't be held against you. For example, if you're unable to meet a production goal because you were gone most of the 90 days, the employer can terminate you for failing to meet that goal without consideration of the fact that you're gone most of the time on medical leave.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation - simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers (even though the website already charged you, it does not credit me with the answer unless and until you indicate you are satisfied with the answer). If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

John, Employment Lawyer
can I be fired while on disability ?
If the doctor puts me on disability for 30 days and I go back to work at that time I will be fired ?