Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

In may I went to the hospital for an infection but it was…

Customer Question
In may I went...

In may I went to the hospital for an infection but it was misdiagnosed and I was sent home a month later the infection got so bad my whole arm was red swollen and oozing pus I went to the ER again and was hospitalized for 3 days it was found I had mrsa. Can those days in may be added to my fmla. I was just terminated for violating the attendance policy on nov. 3rd because my alternator went out so I'm trying anything I can to keep my job.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed the disciplinary action with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

HR said they wouldn't tolerate absenteeism and it wasn't up for discussion no lawyer

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

Yes for both I was a union steward

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

They just updated the attendance policy which would have put me in good attendance but i was given a last chance agreement for those days I missed in may so they said the new attendance policy didn't cover me.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Employment Law
11/14/2017
Employment Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
I can suggest some options. would you like that information? please let me know and i will put it together and respond shortly. You can wait or come back later when we email you that a reply is ready. Thanks for your patience. This is not the answer. just an opening question so I can better focus the answer and make it more helpful.
please. If I can't get my job back I want to try to get unemployment till I get another job.
On review of your facts, you have a good case.You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way.A claim can be pursued for discriminatory practice and violation of policy.martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.By being prepared and pressing your claim, the other side should feel the pressure and consider the risk of losing and legal fees. That realization can help bring about a settlement!Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Awaiting your reply, thank you!