Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I was terminated and was never told. When my job ended I…

I was terminated and...

I was terminated and was never told. When my job ended I tried to apply with the sister company and recruties told me I was terminated. I never received a paper stating that nor do the super ever tell me.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Louisiana

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

At will and part time

11/14/2017
Patrick, Esq.

Good evening and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

I assume you are asking whether the conduct you describe is against the law. Unfortunately, I must tell you that the law does not say anything about how an employer can define a separation of employment. Furthermore, the law does not prohibit an employer from refusing to hire a former employee for any reason, except for reasons relating to protected traits, such as race, religion or disability.

So, it would not be illegal to "terminate" you without telling you. What your employer calls the separation of employment has absolutely no legal significance. It also would not be illegal to refuse to hire you back, simply because an employer is never obligated to hire someone back.

I hope that you find this information helpful and am genuinely sorry if it is not what you were hoping to hear. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further...

Thank you so much . I figured that but was not sure.

I'm glad I could help. Again, please feel free to let me know if you have any further concerns. If I have answered your question, I would be very grateful for a positive rating of my service (using the stars at the top of the page) so that I may receive credit for assisting you.

Very best wishes.

Patrick, Esq.