Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Can my employer force me to give my phone number out to

Customer Question
Can my employer force...

Can my employer force me to give my phone number out to patrons so that I can text them my schedule to have them come back. Or tell me that if I don't invite people that they can't give me shifts. I'm a Bartender

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California Los Angeles

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Part time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

This is a good start. I may have more questions

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Employment Law
11/14/2017
Employment Lawyer: Bill Attorney, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
Bill Attorney

Dear Customer ,

Thank You for posting your employment law question today. I'm attorney Bill, an experienced attorney assisting you today.

This really comes down to your contract of employment and whether a phone number is ***** needed in your employment.

It seems you could do with a business phone and your employer may be obliged to facilitate you in this regard.

If your job description doesn't include using your personal phone, you could refuse to disclose your personal number.

If you are an at will employee and don't have a contract your rights in relation to termination are very limited.

Please follow up with me if you require any additional information or clarification.

In return remember to rate positively today.

I'm an independent legal expert and rely on your positive feedback today to get a credit.

You do this by rating 5*****, 4**** or better.

SO I hope you rate FIVE STARS before your exit today.

Thank You

Attorney Bill

No we are not even allowed to carry our phone on our person when working. Can they decide to give me less shifts because of this. Is that legal? For not having people come visit me at the establishment. Marketing my shift, is something that I feel they are forcing me to do. I let people who come in know when I'll be next working but they seem to want me to text customers my schedule every time my work schedule comes out. To let customers know 4 days in advance when I will be at work & personally have me text them. Meaning getting there phone number & giving mine out. My husband is not comfortable with his & neither am I. But now they have take work days away from me because I don't have people visiting me. I'm not bringing business into the establishment is what they say.

Your employment is contractual so shifts can be increased or decreased according to your contract.

If your shifts are being decreased in accordance with a non-contractual term you may have a case for breach of contract.

An employment contact can be inferred not only from a written contract but an employee handbook, manual, emails, verbal assurances and statements and common practice among all employees at your employment.

If you do have a contract I can review it through this site as an additional service. Just send it through and I will make a review offer available.

We are here to help

Thank You

Attorney Bill