Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I am in a federal ussera case, will i be liable for taxes on…

Customer Question
I am in a...

I am in a federal ussera case, will i be liable for taxes on an amount settled out of court

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?

Missouri

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Its federal case though

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Employment Law
11/14/2017
Employment Lawyer: legalgems, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Settlements are typically taxable unless there is a code that provides otherwise. The IRS will look to see what the purpose of the settlement is, and if it is for back wages then it is generally taxable; the below paragraph is from an IRS advisory:

If you receive a settlement in an employment-related lawsuit; for example, for unlawful discrimination or involuntary termination, the portion of the proceeds that is for lost wages (i.e., severance pay, back pay, front pay) is taxable wages and subject to the social security wage base and social security and Medicare tax rates in effect in the year paid. These proceeds are subject to employment tax withholding by the payor and should be reported by you as ‘Wages, salaries, tips, etc.” on line 7 of Form 1040.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p4345.pdf

Also please see:

In order to determine whether any portion of damages are excludable from gross income, the Internal Revenue Service (“IRS”) will look to the nature of the claim that was the basis for the settlement. According to the IRS, characterization of the settlement must be consistent with the relief that would have been available if the claims had not been settled. Office of Chief Counsel, I.R.S. Memorandum, Income and Employment Tax Consequences and Proper Reporting of Employment-Related Judgments and Settlements, PMTA2009-025 (October 22, 2008).2 In general, in order to be excluded from income, the amounts received must be due to personal physical injuries or physical sickness, or must be reimbursed expenses for medical treatment for emotional distress. 26 U.S.C. §104(a)(2); see Commissioner v. Schleier, 515 U.S. 323, 336-337 (1995). Emotional distress alone is not considered a physical injury or physical sickness that may be excluded from gross income. 26 U.S.C. §104(a)(2).

https://www.agc.org/sites/default/files/Galleries/labor_member_files/State%20of%20the%20Law%20on%20Settlement%20Agreements...and%20Tips%20to%20Make%20Them%20Stick.pdf

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;

If you have no further questions a positive rating is most appreciated (at no additional cost to you) and allows the site to credit my account for the time spent assisting you!

if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answerand I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Thanks!

The above information is for educational purposes only. A consultation with a private attorney is recommended so they can apply the law to your specific facts, and suggest the best course of action. An attorney can be located here:
http://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_education/public-information/how-do-i-find-a-lawyer-.html
Terms of service can be viewed here:

legalgems
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer