Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I work for a non profit organization that does not provide a…

Customer Question
I work for a...

I work for a non profit organization that does not provide a desk...it is a shelf and I am expected to work in that area 40 plus hours a week. Are they allowed to do that? There is no ventilation and it is normally used for visiting employees of the for-profit company where we are housed.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have they discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

No, I am a 53 year old woman and it is causing me back pain.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the workplace "at will" or union? Is the job hourly or salaried?

I am salaried and it is in Florida so it is at will

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes, our Executive Director says since they give us the space we should just deal with it but she has a normal desk and space.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Employment Law
11/14/2017
Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

There is no law that specifically requires employers to provide a regular desk. The only exception would generally be if you had a medical condition constituting a disability, in which case a regular desk might be required as a "reasonable accommodation" for your condition. What you'd need is a doctor's note explaining that your back condition is a serious medical condition and that having a regular desk would help alleviate pain. If your employer still refused to provide a desk, despite receiving such a note, you could file a complaint for disasbility discrimination with the EEOC.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further...

Tina, Lawyer