Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I have a question about possible contract fraud. i

Customer Question
I have a question...

I have a question about possible contract fraud. i frequently work as an independent contractor for a specific company and just discovered they have not been paying me the full amount they bill the customer for my services. Doesn't this constitute fraud? I also know another IC who has had the same experience with this company. they hire hundreds if nort thousands of ICs nation wide, so if they're doing this to us...

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Los angeles ca.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No,but i actually saw a contract on my last job and billed them the rate listed there "per contracted rate" and they paid on questions asked

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Employment Law
11/13/2017
Employment Lawyer: DamienJD, Attorney replied 9 months ago
DamienJD
DamienJD, Attorney

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Please give me a moment to review your question. I may ask some questions to clarify issues.

It's not necessarily fraud. If your contract is with the company and then the company has a contract with the client, then the company can pay you what is in your contract and the client can pay the company what is in that contract. If though, the client is told that you are being paid what the client is paying, then that could be fraud. If I misinterpreted your question or you have a followup question, just let me know.

COmpany has a contract with the client. the Client pays the company stipulated amounts in the contract which are then dispersed to different parties under the same contract. As an example, instead of paying me 450.00 for the job they only pay me 400 since they with hold that part of the contract. I billed them at a rate which unbenown to me, was less than they were being paid per the contract. is this fraud?
sorry but cant talk on the phone at the moment

Hold, please.

Thank you for the clarification. It could be fraudulent inducement if you entered into the contract under false pretenses and if you would have known the truth, would not have entered into the contract. In other words, if you were told that the client was paying exactly what you were charging but that is untrue, then it would be fraud or misrepresentation. We can continue to discuss or if I am missing something here, just let me know.

Hello again! Checking in to see if you need further help. Your satisfaction is my goal, and I'm happy to answer a related follow-up question you may have. If I have not answered your question completely or missed a question, please let me know and I will attempt to answer it. If you are satisfied with your answer, please provide a positive rating between 3 and 5 stars so I can get paid for the service I provided to you. Best regards.