Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I have an employment question. Is this the right website to…

Customer Question
I have an employment...

I have an employment question. Is this the right website to ask that type of question?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you documented this or discussed it with HR?

They know that I am seeking advice. But outright directly, no.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

At will. But I'm a consultant. My company let me go after an investigation with my client. They let me go without getting any context from me. I was not able to give my account of what happened. The "story" they heard was not the exact truth. I was thinking this could be wrongful termination. All I want is a severance package.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No thank you. I'm sure they'll have more questions.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Employment Law
11/13/2017
Employment Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 7 months ago
Roy Hadavi

Hi Julia. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with extensive labor law experience. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

A few questions before I can better assist you:

• What state are you located in?
  • You state that you are a consultant. Were you paid as a W2 employee or as a 1099 independent contractor?
  • If you are an independent contract, did you have a contract?
I live in SC.
My consulting firm was in WI.
My client was in CA,
I'm W-2.
Employment Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 7 months ago

Thank you for that information.

Did you work from SC?

I worked onsite from CA
Employment Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 7 months ago

Thank you for that information.

Answer: Unfortunately, California is an at-will employment state. That means that either you or the employer can terminate the employment relationship at any time for any reason or no reason at all. The limitation is that employers cannot terminate an employee for an illegal reason, such as discrimination or retaliation for exercising an employee's legal right.

In addition, a severance package is never legally required, unless you have a contract to the contrary.

I am sorry that I do not have better news for you, but hope it will not affect your rating of my services.

Rating & Additional Questions: Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please do not rate my service. Please ask me as many questions as you need, until you feel I have earned an excellent rating. There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating! A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.