Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

EMPLOEE PAID BY THE HOUR. IS IT ILLEGIAL FOR MY EMPLOYER TO…

Customer Question
I AM AN EMPLOEE...

I AM AN EMPLOEE PAID BY THE HOUR. IS IT ILLEGIAL FOR MY EMPLOYER TO EXPECT ME TO BE ON CALL EVERY HOUR I AM NOT WORKING IN HOUSE AND NOT REEMBURSE ME FOR THOSE HOURS?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

OREGON

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

FULL TIME AND I AM NOT SURE WHAT AT WILL MEANT - BUT NOT UNION

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/13/2017
Employment Lawyer: John, Employment Lawyer replied 5 months ago
John, Employment Lawyer

Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today. Please note that the website may ask you if you desire premium services, such as a phone call. I do not control these prompts, and you are not under any obligation to order premium services to get a full answer from me. If you do desire premium services, however, feel free to select that option. I will have an answer for you shortly, unless I require additional information. Please be patient while I may have to research some matters before providing a response. In the meantime you should save the url link or bookmark this webpage in case you become disconnected and need to return to this page at a later time.

Generally it's not going to be legal for the employer to constantly have you on call without pay. There are number of factors that go into the determination of whether on-call time should be paid. One of the factors is whether it's a constant mandatory requirement of the job, which would support the finding should pay. The Department of Labor states as follows:An employee who is required to remain on call on the employer's premises or so close thereto that he cannot use the time effectively for his own purposes is working while “on call”. An employee who is not required to remain on the employer's premises but is merely required to leave word at his home or with company officials where he may be reached is not working while on call.

The question is whether you are able to use the on-call time for your own purposes – such as doing grocery shopping, working at her house, traveling etc. They consider how long the on-call time is, what if any mandates you have to get to the job is certain amount of time, however often you are called then, how often you are on call. In your case, since her constantly on call, I would be of the opinion that your on-call time should be paid. However, only the Department of Labor or a federal judge can make a ruling on this. I would encourage you to either file a complaint with the Department of Labor for routine local employment counsel to file a lawsuit against the employer.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation - simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers (even though the website already charged you, it does not credit me with the answer unless and until you indicate you are satisfied with the answer). If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. If you do not rate the answer positively, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.

John, Employment Lawyer