Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I'm having trouble locating a labor law lawyer here in ABQ.

Customer Question
I'm having trouble locating...

I'm having trouble locating a labor law lawyer here in ABQ. NM.know one seems to have had a case in the situation of collection of final pay check. Back in July Partrick from this site explained the statue 50-4-4 where final wages are due within 5 days of termination. That the same statue we can recover compensation subsequent to the 60th day of discharge and no lawyer here will call me back or refer me. I guess I need to represent myself in court which the Judge mentioned I will need proof of all that is Law for my situation. Hope I made sense!

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?

New Mexico (Albuquerque)

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Was a Salaried Full time employee paid bi-weekly

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We went to Mediation last Tuesday which was a waste of time so now we are waiting court court date.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Employment Law
11/13/2017
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 5 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Here is the link to the statute which tells you that pay must be paid in 5 days: https://law.justia.com/codes/new-mexico/2011/chapter50/article4/section50-4-4/

If you cannot get an employment attorney to call you back you need to keep calling and set up an appointment in person. Second, you do not need an attorney to file a complaint for non-payment of wages with the NM Department of Labor Wage and Hour Division https://www.dws.state.nm.us/Labor-Relations/Labor-Information/Wage-and-Hour

You can also file the claim with the US Department of Labor Wage and Hour Division and they too can assist in pursuing your claim.

So you need to file complaints with one of those first and if you want a local attorney you need to make an actual appointment with a local employment attorney at the same sites used by other attorneys http://www.hg.org or http://www.superlawyers.com

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney