Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

The company I work for was sold last February. The new

The company I work for...
The company I work for was sold last February. The new management wanted me to stay on until the end of July to help integrate the accounting systems and offered a $12K bonus and the title to my company car. The integration is now complete and they want me to sign an offer letter for an additional 6 months. First of all, I feel like they are stringing me along with the bonus. The new contract says that they want to to stay until the end of April at which time I will get the title to my car and the bonus. Just below my signature line they have the following wording "This offer letter does not constitute a contract. Employment is "at will"." Seems to me they can say no car and no bonus.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I am in Pennsylvania and the corporate office is in Illinois
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: full time non union
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/13/2017
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

I think I am a little confused by the situation. Why would they offer you the same things they already promised you? Did you originally sign a contract regarding the bonus and car?

I did in February of last year.

Thank you.

If that contract promised you the car and bonus if you worked till July, and if you met your end of the deal by working till July you would be entitled to those things and could sue for breach of contract if your employer didn't give them to you. Your employer cannot "re-offer" the things you have already earned. They would need to give you something in addition. I would consider negotiating an additional bonus if they want you to stay longer.

I hope this helps. If I can clarify anything at all for you, please do not hesitate to ask. It is my pleasure to assist you further if necessary....

I am concerned about this line typed under my signature: This offer letter does not constitute a contract. Employment at XXX, is "at will."

Yes, that is strange. I definitely wouldn't sign a contract that says it isn't a contract. What they might mean is that it is not a guarantee of a fixed duration of employment. That is not a dealbreaker (at least in my opinion, because you are no worse off than if you didn't sign the agreement at all), assuming the contract is clear that your EMPLOYER'S obligation to pay the bonus does not terminate with your employment. In other words, if you get the bonus either way and your employer is just saying "we can't guarantee that we will actually employ you till X date," that is probably okay. But if the entire deal can simply be rescinded, including the promise to pay your bonus, then you don't have an agreement worth the paper it's printed on. I would ask to clarify this clause.

Thank you very much.

You are welcome. Again, please feel free to let me know if you have any further concerns. If I have answered your question, I would be very grateful for a positive rating of my service (using the stars at the top of the page) so that I may receive credit for assisting you.

Very best wishes.

Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer