Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I was seen in the ER on October 1 of this year. The doctor…

Customer Question
I was seen in...

I was seen in the ER on October 1 of this year. The doctor there was beyond horrible. She was condecending and she violated the HIPPA laws. I'm not sure whether it's worth suing. I just got a letter from the hospital saying they consider it to be proper care.

Lawyer's Assistant: Was this discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

I filed a grevance against the doctor. I spoke to the place that supposedly watches over the doctors and I spoke to the ombudsman. The only thing I received was this letter.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the workplace "at will" or union? Is the job hourly or salaried?

I have no idea. I went to the ER on a Sunday night because my blood sugar was over 500 and I could not get it down. As an example, when I got to the ER the doctor asked me why I was there and I explained what I just said. Her response was "well, what do you want me to do about it?" It went downhill from there.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just that I left the ER in worse shape than when I got there.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Employment Law
11/13/2017
Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

I am very sorry to hear about the way you were treated. Unfortunately, there is no legal remedy for rude or condescending medical professionals. As for the HIPAA violations, you can report those to the Department of Health & Human Services. However, HIPAA does not allow for private causes of action for money damages, so you cannot sue for financial compensation because your HIPAA rights were violated. The DHHS will investigate your complaint and impose penalties against the doctor if they determine a HIPAA violation in fact occurred. You can file a HIPAA complaint here.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further...

Was there anything else I can do for you?