Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I work for an employer that likes to air your personnel

Customer Question
I work for an...

I work for an employer that likes to air your personnel information to the other employees in a group meeting. If she brought a situation, instead of dealing with it one on one, she brings it up in a group setting. On Friday when I was off, she had all of the employees discussing my dissatisfaction with an apartment unit I leased that was dirty and maintenance unready. Now the other employees aren't talking to me. She sends emails full of swear words. I've asked her to stop discussing me in meetings. If she has an issue to come to me direct. If I get fired, do I have a case? If I choose to stay, do I have a case for breach of confidentiality?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

New Mexico

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

I'm a full time Leasing Agent. I believe New Mexico is an at will state. I just passed probation without incident.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I've been an HR Manage in California for 30 years, and would be sued and fired if I did what she did.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Employment Law
11/13/2017
Employment Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

ok
I don't have $59 today. can I just get a yes or no I have a case?

Hi, no problem on the phone call. Bear with me just a moment while I review your question fully...

Thank you very much for your patience. Generally, this is not allowed. The reason is because appears to be a public disclosure of private facts. This particular tort says that if someone publicly discloses private facts about a person that a reasonable person would find offensive, then it is going to bring about a cause of action. In your case if this person is sharing information about you that a reasonable person would find offensive and it is causing you some damage, such as a loss of esteem in your community or even a lost promotional opportunity, then you may have a cause of action.

You may want to consider just writing a cease and desist letter to your supervisor, asking her to stop immediately. Lawyers use letters like these often to enforce their client’s rights. Here’s a website that has a good template (click here). It only costs $10 and it is way cheaper than litigation.

What other questions did you have for me?

None thank you. you were very helpful

The pleasure is all mine! Further up on the screen you should see a chance to give me a rating. 5-stars are always appreciated, but it is definitely not required! You can also click here in the future to request me individually. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions on the cheap.