Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I am being treated unfairly. I work for GISD. Genesee

Customer Question
I am being treated...

I am being treated unfairly.

Lawyer's Assistant: Was this discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

NO

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the workplace "at will" or union? Is the job hourly or salaried?

I work for GISD. Genesee Intermediatee Schoolo District is an "at will" company. Their full time employees have a union. I am a Genesee Education Consultant Services, Inc. Employee who is also a "at will" company. I am a Bus Aide in a Sub Pool at GECS.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

YES!!!!!

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/13/2017
Employment Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Is there violation of policy or discrimination?I can suggest some options. would you like that information? please let me know and i will put it together and respond shortly. You can wait or come back later when we email you that a reply is ready. Thanks for your patience. This is not the answer. just an opening question so I can better focus the answer and make it more helpful.
Awaiting your reply, thank you!
I work for GISD (Genesee Intermediate School District) which is an "at will" company. They have a Union. However , I signed a contract with GECS (Genesee Education Consultant Services) another "at will" company. I am paid an hourly wage.I am a Sub Aide and I am in a Pool. The School Bus Driver and I were called into two separate meetings and were questioned about not checking our bus to make sure all students were unloaded at the Elmer Knopf Learning Center. The Bus Driver and I stopped for a break at Mc Donald's after dropping the students off at the learning center. I used the men's room and the Bus Driver stood outside the bus for a smoke break. When I came back from my break the Bus Driver noticed there was still a student on the bus (obviously he was laying down on his seat sleeping when the driver and I did a visual and did not see him) When dispatch found out what had happened, the Bus Driver was told by Mr. Wade Batey (Transportation Supervisor) that he was to attend a 10:30 A.M. meeting on October 23, 2017 at the Genesee Intermediate School Administrative Building on Maple Road. At that time, the Bus Driver asked if (I) the Bus Aide was to attend with him and he was told no, I was not to attend. After I completed the A.M. run on Monday, October 23, 2017 I wished the Bus Driver good luck (because this was the second time that the same child was left on the bus while he was driving). I received a cell phone call from Mr. Mike Panek after my A.M. run and he proceeded to ask me questions as to why I did not attend the 10:30 A.M. meeting. I repeated to Mr. Mike Panek what the Bus Driver told me, that I was not to attend the meeting. Mr. Panek asked me if I could get to the Adminstrative Building in fifteen minutes, and I said yes When I got to the meeting, Ms. Valerie LaCarter (Transportation Supervisor) questioned me about not attending the 10:30 A.M. meeting on October 23, 2017. I told her I was not told to be there, per the conversation the Bus Driver had with Mr. Wade Batey (Transportation Supervisor). I thought Ms. LaCarter was through talking when I started to explain my absence for the 10:30 A.M. meeting and Mr. Chad Sexton (Director Of Transportation) looked at me and said Ms. LaCarter had not finished talking and looked at me and said "You think you are better than anyone else". Also, he said I have talked to you about this before! I said, "No you did not ". I said, "I was an Office Manager at Chevrolet Maufacturing and had over thirty years experience in Domestic and International Logistics and supervised eighteen Expeditors. I learned to take very good notes to the point I could look at my notes years later and would be able to pick up where I left off. I have no record of you talking to me about this before. Now that you brought it up, I do not understand why I was not called in for an interview." Mr. Chad Sexton asked ," for what job". I said, "Mike's job". Mr. Chad Sexton said we can discuss this later. I proceeded to tell Mr. Chad Sexton that I applied for Mike"s job as the Transportation Service Coordinator. I received a letter from Human Resources - GISD thanking me for applying and encouraged me to watch the website for future openings. Please Refer to (EXHIBIT I) I then stated that I applied for three more job openings. They had two Bus Driver and one Bus Aide position open that I applied for on July 27, 2017. To this date I have not received a response from GISD. Please refer to (1) My cover sheet (2) Resume (3) References, that were submitted. Please note all of the above was said in the presence of (1) Ms. Valerie LaCarter (Transportation Supervisor) (2) Mr. ***** ***** ( Attorney for GECS), and (3) Mr. ***** ***** (Executive Director - Human Resources) My question is this....DO I HAVE A CASE? The same Bus Driver is a TWO TIME OFFENDER WITH THE SAME STUDENT, HE IS STILL WORKING AND I HAVE BEEN ON WORK LEAVE.
On further review, you have a good case. Facts support a claim of a hostile environment and resulting injury.if I can elaborate on anything, just ask me.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Tina, Lawyer