Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

If some one fails a drug test, can they still get benifets?

If some one fails...

Lawyer's Assistant: Can you tell me what state this is in?

Mo

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Part time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, not at the moment

Answered in 1 minute by:
11/13/2017
ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Do you mean unemployment benefits if the employee was terminated because of the positive test?

sir, I have an employee that will be tested and if she fails than she will be terminated
I just wanted to know if she can get unemployment

Do you have a written employment policy regarding alcohol, drug use, testing, that states that a positive test result shall be deemed misconduct and may result in suspension or termination of employment?

we do.

Thank you. In that instance, the employee can't get unemployment. By law it's considered "misconduct" and makes her ineligible. Here's the law: https://law.justia.com/codes/missouri/2005/t18/2880000045.html

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

also I have another employee that is always late, steals, leaves everyday, can he get unemployment

Yes, but make sure that you can document it. Tardiness is also grounds for misconduct, as well as stealing from employer.

ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer
thank you

You're welcome, and again, good luck to you!