Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I am 62 years old. I work for N.E. Baptist Hosptal in Boston…

Customer Question
Second opinion] My name...

Second opinion] My name is***** am 62 years old. I work for N.E. Baptist Hosptal in Boston for over 45 years. I was the manager in Billing Office until about 6 months ago I was transferred out to an administrative assistant position. for Nursing Dept. In this role I was never formally trained. or told what my daily work would entail. At that time I was told it was a lateral move and kept my salary I was making as manager. I am now being told that I am not working out in this position and they are transferring me to Pt Access Office. I heard there was a position opening in my former Pt. Accounts Dept. and asked if they would consider transferring me there. Salary for both positions are just about the same which is much lower that my current salary. Human Resources did not discuss salary with me when they blindsided me with this information over a week ago. I have not heard from them again until Friday I got and email requesting a meeting at 10:00 am Monday 11/13/17. If they try to decrease my salary it will be a significant decrease amount . I am not sure what my rights are as far as being transferred against my will. Would they have to keep my salary stable as they did 6 month ago or can they decrease my salary. I was emailed on Friday with this meeting request and I was not in the office and would not have known about this if I did not look at my emails from home. I would like to have a little knowledge as to what my rights may be. I also would like the name of an Attorney that may be able to help me out if I need the help. I am afraid that if I don't take one of these positions I will be fired. I have worked hard for the New England Baptist Hospital for 45 years and I am extremely upset about this.It is causing me great stress. I have a house to take care of and family to take care of and I cannot live if I get a decrease in salary. I will not know until my meeting tomorrow Monday what they are planning to do with the salary. But I would like to have some knowledge if they can do this or not. My email address is***@******.*** and my work email is***@******.***. My phone number is *****: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Sorry. It is in Boston, Massachusetts.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full time, not union. I'm not sure what At Will is. I applied at the hospital 45 years ago for a position and have worked in a few positions since then working my way up to Manager

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Employment Law
11/13/2017
Employment Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 7 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

First and foremost, you should not communicate with an Attorney using your work e-mail. Any e-mail sent to your work e-mail could be accessed by your employer.

Second, I cannot communicate with your outside of this forum. If you need an employment Attorney to assist you with the case, you can use the following sites to find local Attorneys:

Lawyers.com

Justia.com

Findlaw.com

Consumeradvocates.org

Your Questions:

I am not sure what my rights are as far as being transferred against my will. Would they have to keep my salary stable as they did 6 month ago or can they decrease my salary.

Response 1: Unfortunately, if you do not have employment agreement or belong a Union, your employment is at will. This mean that the employer can transfer you to a lower paying job with no consequences. Your employer does not have to promise you a certain salary. You can either take the transfer or the employer may terminate you, regrettably. Nonetheless, if you think that the employer's action is discriminatory, that is, if you are being treated differently because of your race, age (40 and over), national origin, or the like, then you can file complaint against the employer with Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination or with U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.

I was emailed on Friday with this meeting request and I was not in the office and would not have known about this if I did not look at my emails from home. I would like to have a little knowledge as to what my rights may be. I also would like the name of an Attorney that may be able to help me out if I need the help.

Response 2: I cannot make personal referrals from the site. You can use the link that I previously provided to find a local employment Attorney.

Best wishes,

A positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating.

Thank you for your cooperation.