Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Had a quick question, Im in a situation in where I feel like…

Customer Question
Had a quick question...

Had a quick question, Im in a situation in where I feel like I need to quit my current job based on many factors that I have brought up that have been a violation of the current code of conduct at work In the case that I do quit am i eligible for payment on the pto i have accrued

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

And if i quit may i be eligble for unemployment

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full time salary and in california

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No i dont think so

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Employment Law
11/12/2017
Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Patrick, Esq.

Good evening and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

California law treats PTO as a form of vested benefit, which means that an employers ALWAYS has to pay for accrued but unused PTO upon separation of employment, regardless of whether the employee is terminated or resigns.

I hope this answers your question. If I can clarify anything at all for you, please do not hesitate to ask. It is my pleasure to assist you further if necessary....

Was there anything else I can do for you?

Are you still with me?

I currently work in as supervisor for clinical diagnostic laboratory in CA, I have brought up a few points that may have rubbed the upper management the wrong way. The code of conduct states that a married couple can not work on the same project, as in my case this couple is highly involved in a working/ personal partnership which has been causing animosity among the personnel I supervise. Other people have asked why these two work together on projects being that this causes an issue but nothing really is remedied. Ive mention this to my direct supervisor and mentions the issue to his manager but avoids the confrontation in addressing the question. I've received emails in regard to the two working together described as nepotism and carreer advancement, Ive also mentioned to higher ups and HR that Im getting pressure from top and bottom ends due to this relationship, however they still work on the same project and I feel that now im being excluded from meetings that would directly impact my ability to perform my job correctly. The overall atmosphere in this lab is very millennial minded and is highly noted among others that by bringing up these issues impacts the relationship you have in your career with the company. Basically, if you part of the social group your assisted if your not involved in the off the clock social atmosphere your outcast. Also we are in the middle of a merger.... the dynamics of the lab are very strange right now.... although upper management says they will provdie solutions for the issues i bring up.... it doesnt change, they seem to exclude me from meetings in where thew two work together but still manages to impact my work either way. The pressure I feel is impacting my health.... and I feel as if I need to quit. If I quit based on this reasoning would i be eligible for unemployment?
Not only that the support I receive from higher management regarding anything is minimal. Asking question as simple as requesting a review from directors is pretty nonexistant, the are never found in person and no one wants to answer emails/ questions etc, as if they fear answering wrong amongst their peers. Its strange? In a clincial diagnostic setting I can see, being the scapegoat for anything that goes wrong.

Thank you. In all honestly, this would probably not quality for you unemployment benefits. What you are describing are certainly difficult job circumstances, but many jobs are difficult and stressful and if this alone were sufficient to collect unemployment benefits, an enormous number of people would quit their job to collect benefits and the system would collapse on itself. Generally you need to be terminated to collect unemployment. The only exception is if you are deemed to have resigned under circumstances in which no reasonable person could have remained employed. This is a very high standard that most likely goes beyond what you have described. Certainly, you could try to argue that your circumstances meet this standard, but you would face an enormous risk of being denied benefits and then having no way to support yourself. So, I really would not quit until you have another job lined up, unless you are okay with the possibility of being denied benefits.

Please understand I could lie to you for the sake of giving you better news here. I could tell you that your chances of getting approved for unemployment benefits were great. But I respect my customers too much to do that. I want to be honest with you because that is what you are here for. I trust you'll appreciate my candor.

Again, please feel free to let me know if you have any further concerns. If I have answered your question, I would be very grateful for a positive rating of my service (using the stars at the top of the page) so that I may receive credit for assisting you.

Was I able to answer your questions, or can I clarify anything else before we wrap up?