Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

The au\\\\ The daughter of one of my friends has just been…

Customer Question
Dear Ms. Wilson, The...

Dear Ms. Wilson, The au\\\\

Lawyer's Assistant: Was this discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

The daughter of one of my friends has just been notified that she has been dismissed from her medical school. The stated time for the filing of an appeal is 5 days. I am a lawyer but I have no background in employment law. My question is whether that short of a time to appeal will make it virtually impossible to have a meaningful appeal. Is there are legal authority of which you are aware that would enable to her to challenge that short deadline? Respectfully, ***** *****

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the workplace "at will" or union? Is the job hourly or salaried?

At will, but with a written contract of employment that outlines discipline.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

In addition to the short time for appeal, her letter of dismissal simply recites alleged violations of the school's policies and procedures without giving any specific facts. The employee manual states that she must present facts refuting the school's list of reasons for the dismissal.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Employment Law
11/12/2017
Employment Lawyer: Dwayne B., Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Please allow me several minutes to read your facts and type my response both initially and when you add a follow up question or add facts. Please don't ask "are you there", "where is my answer", etc., since when you post it can erase what I am working on. If we are having a conversation unless I tell you I am going offline, I will be here but I may be doing research.

Do you still need assistance?

I can't provide case law, but I have represented people in similar situations and can describe what I did and what happened and how I handled things if that would be sufficient.