Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Lawyer, I have signed a contract with an employer and the…

Customer Question
Hello Lawyer,I have signed a...
Hello Lawyer,I have signed a contract with an employer and the contract stated that I cannot break the contract once I start working. If I break the contract once I start working, I will be responsible to pay certain amount. But I have not yet started working and I want to come out of the contract and now the employer is forcing me to pay the amount. Please suggest me on how I can come out of this.Thanks
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Employment Law
11/11/2017
Employment Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Have you actually gone through any training for the company yet?

.

.

thanks

I have gone through the training.

Ok, then you are kind of stuck here... When you entered into the employment agreement and let them spend their resources and money on training you, they have a right to demand that money back if you do not hold up your end of the bargain..

.

Now would they actually hire an attorney and pay him $10,000 to try and sue you for that money?....no way to know, but I kind of doubt it...

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

..

.

thanks

I took the training but. They did not mention that they will forge my resume to get me job. And one more thing is I had not started the job.
I did not accept the offer letter. This was the contract signed once I joined the training. I did not sign the final contract.

I am not sure what to tell you... if you went through their training, and you didn't do what you agreed....work for 18 months, then legally they could pursue you for that training money back.. They wouldn't come after you for not taking the job, but for not repaying them for the training..

.

It would be like if you were hired to be an airline pilot and they put you through school to be a pilot and then you quit after getting your license and went to work somewhere else... They can sue you for the money they invested in you under the contract..

They faked my resume to get me a job. That is why I did not want to work on fake name with fake experience. Please let me know how I can come out of the situation. Thanks.

If they engaged in fraud to get you a job, you could threaten to file a complaint with the Dept of Labor and the state Attorney General if they tried to sue you for the training money...

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much

Hello, thanks a lot for reaching out. They have sent me a legal notice. What should I do now? Thanks

If they didn't actually file a lawsuit against you, then they are just trying to scare you at this point. But you may still want to file a complaint with the Dept of Labor and the state Attorney General just to be proactive as that may back them off if they were thinking about suing.

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the title and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

If you feel I have answered all your questions, I would very much appreciate a 5 star rating by clicking on the rating scale on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

.

.

Thanks much