Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Are you in Delaware? It is "at-will" but very complicated. I…

Customer Question
Are you in Delaware? ...

Are you in Delaware?

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

It is "at-will" but very complicated. I am a Board member, the successor trustee to the trust holding the controlling interest, family member and an officer

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, are they calling today?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Hello?
11/12/2017
Employment Lawyer: DamienJD, Attorney replied 7 months ago
DamienJD
DamienJD, Attorney

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Please give me a moment to review your question. I may ask some questions to clarify issues.

Can you provide a bit more of what is happening and any questions you may have? I would like to see how I can help you.

I am in a family business and I was recently put on a minute straight of leave and over the next five weeks my pay will be cut by 75%. This is because my brother and I filed suit against our father who is the trustee of the trust that controls the majority of the stock of our business. I had made many inquiries about the stock ledger of the company. The trustee admitted to my brother and I who are the sole beneficiaries of the trust that holds the majority of the stock. That he in secret five years ago issued himself 10,000 shares of stock and that The majority trust is no longer the majority he holds it himself individually. We filed suit and my pay was cut by 75% less than 24 hours later. I was removed off the board. My question is do I have a cause of action under the whistleblower laws of Delaware? Or any other statute?
Our case number ***** ***** No. 2017-0786-SG

It may be a bit more complicated because of the presence of the trust, but from what you are saying there could be a possible claim. By chase, do you get a w-2? Are you considered an employee? Also, have you brought this to the additional of the Court and your attorney?

I am absolutely an employee but now was put on Administrative leave because we filed. We filed in Chancery Court last week. We are pro se now but our firm is coming on board after the deposit is paid on a contingency. My brother handles the filings. But I think it can be a whistleblower or discrimination case. Because no one else got a 75% reduction in their pay in their pay.

Would you like the contact information for the Department of Labor website that explains how to file a whistleblower complaint? Also, if you wanted to thrash out the situation on the phone, we can do that also (there is an extra charge for that since it takes up more time). We can continue here also. Just let me know if you have further questions.

Hello again! Checking in to see if you need further help. Your satisfaction is my goal, and I'm happy to answer a related follow-up question you may have. If I have not answered your question completely or missed a question, please let me know and I will attempt to answer it. If you are satisfied with your answer, please provide a positive rating between 3 and 5 stars so I can get paid for the service I provided to you. Best regards.

Hello again: Checking in on the status of your employment situation. I have been happy to answer your previous questions. Do you have any more questions? I am happy to help you if you do. If not, please remember to provide a rating between 3 and 5 stars for the services I provided to you. Thank you.