Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

As an Executive Director at a non-profit, are there certain…

Customer Question
As an Executive Director at...
As an Executive Director at a non-profit, are there certain employment laws I should be privy to?
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Employment Law
11/10/2017
Employment Lawyer: socrateaser, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
socrateaser, Lawyer

Employment law applies identically to for-profit and non-profit organizations. The two issues that frequently arise are:

1. Officers of the organization (president, secretary, treasurer, and anyone else who is actually involved in the day-to-day operation of the business, must be paid at least minimum wage for their time -- or, if salaried, then at least $475.00 per week (W-2 employee). An officer or employee who is volunteering their time, can avoid being paid wages, overtime or salary, as long as they have agreed to work entirely without compensation. But, if they are paid one penny of compensation, then they can no longer be a volunteer, and all of their labor must be compensated the same as any regular employee.

2. A director (member of the board) is not an employee and may either be paid a stipend on a 1099-Misc form or volunteer for free. But, a director cannot participate in the day-to-day operation of the organization (board meetings only). Otherwise, the director is an employee, and we're back to #1 above.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) -- otherwise, Justanswer retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf. Note: If you cannot find the rating button on your webpage, please just type in your rating in a response to this note, and customer service will apply the rating for you.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

Hello again,

I see that you have reviewed my answer, but that you have not provided a rating. Do you need any further clarification concerning my answer, or is everything satisfactory?

If you need further clarification, concerning this matter, please feel free to ask. If not, I would greatly appreciate a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) – otherwise, Justanswer retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf. Note: If you cannot find the rating button on your webpage, please just type in your rating in a response to this note, and customer service will apply the rating for you.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

socrateaser, Lawyer