Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

We have an employee who we have on a performance improvement…

Customer Question
We have an employee...

We have an employee who we have on a performance improvement plan for excessive absenteeism and absences. On Nov. 9, at 5:30am the employee called to request that it be approved for her to come to work an hour late because she had been out partying the night before and needed to get an extra hour to rest. Request was declined and she came in to work at 6:00am. She clocked out at 6:45 am and left without notifying her supervisor or co-workers. She called in this morning and requested to come back to work admitting that she should have not left the prior day. Her supervisor told her to come in and the situation would b discussed with department manager. The manager and supervisor would like to terminate her employment. Should they use job abandonment or terminate for attendance?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Washington state

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

She's a full time employee, non-union, in WA state which is an "at will" employment state. Our handbook also covers the fact that we are employment at will.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Unless there's something you feel the attorney would like to know that I did not mention.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Employment Law
11/10/2017
Employment Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 5 months ago
Roy Hadavi

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with extensive labor law experience. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Answer: As you are aware, Washington is an at-will employment state. Therefore, you really do not need to give this employee a reason for the termination. If you give an employee a reason, they may be able to dispute the reason and bring an action for unlawful termination. However, it seems that you have properly documented this employee's failure to be available for her shifts. As such, you may want to include that as part of her termination.

Rating & Additional Questions: Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please do not rate my service. Please ask me as many questions as you need, until you feel I have earned an excellent rating. There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating! A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.

Roy Hadavi
Roy Hadavi
Roy Hadavi