Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I have worked for 11 straight years for an agency in New…

Customer Question
I have worked for...

I have worked for 11 straight years for an agency in New York. I was recently let go after reorganization and when I filed for Unemployment benefits I was turned down stating I did not work or earn wages in at least two calendar quarters. I contacted the Unemployment Division and was fold the last time my employer reported wages was September 2016. I have paystubs and a letter of separation showing my last day as November 1, 2017 and a severance package offer. What can I do? Aren't they required by law to file this?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

New York

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

"at will"

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I actually reported a bullying and harassment situation and they used the "at will" on that very same day without even addressing the matter.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/10/2017
Employment Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 9 months ago
Michael Bradley
Didn't you receive a statement at the end of last year so that you could file your tax return?
Employment Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 9 months ago
Please make sure that you filed an appeal since from what you have said you should qualify for unemployment.