Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I work for bjs. SALARY EMPLOYEE. I WORK OVER 40 HRS EVERY…

Customer Question
I work for bjs...

I work for bjs. I'M A SALARY EMPLOYEE. I WORK OVER 40 HRS EVERY WEEK. IS THIS LEGAL

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

NO

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

NOT SURE WHAT AN AT WILL EMPLOYEE IS. NOT A UNION MEMBER

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Employment Law
11/10/2017
Employment Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thanks so much for your patience. Generally, it is legal for someone to work over 40 hours per week. The law permits this. The big issue is whether you are going to be entitled to any overtime pay. Under the Fair Labor Standards Act, if an employee makes less than $455 per week, even if they are salaried, they are entitled to overtime. Thus, the answer is yes, you can be forced to work over 40 hours, but you may be entitled to overtime, depending on how much you're paid. Did you have any other questions for me today? If not, were you satisfied with my service today?

Legal Eagle, Lawyer