Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I did a working interview while on unemployment and claimed…

I did a working...

I did a working interview while on unemployment and claimed it and now have to open up a new claim. I’m fearful I will now not receive my benefits

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Nj

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

I was a full time employee

I am not taking the job at the place I went to. I still haven’t even received the check from them and I worked on 10/24. I worked at my ft job for 13 years. I would assume the unemployment benefits would come still from that job but I fear the claim will go back to the one day working interview and they will deny it and I won’t receive benefirs
11/10/2017
Ray, Employment lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

As long as you reported it here thats the best you can do.Employer response here once you file goes tot he one day employer.The wages on file come from the 13 year employer.

But you have been honest here I don't see them denying you benefits.You were honest and you tried it out here.Keep your chin up.

I appreciate the chance to help you.Prayers to you that you find work long term and UI benefits in the mean time.

Thanks again and thanks for rating 5 stars.

What do I do about refiling? How do I refile? Stating the 13 year employer was my last employer?

If you reported the one day job to UI then you need to just reapply here.They track wages here from IRS so if you think they will pay you report it and take your chances.If you think they aren't going to pay reapply and list 13 year employer and take your chances that way.

They are going to pay me but I shouldn’t be filing under them as they’re not the ones who should be paying ui benefits even tho technically they’re the last place I worked, and that’s what they ask on the refile firm

Always file under last employer.Here the 13 year employer will get dinged on their rates as they paid in the most here, but you list last employer not the 13 year one.The one day one will turn int he wages to IRS which supplies information to UI so you don't want overpayments here.The one day employer here is your last employer for UI purposes.

And let me add if for some reason these guys screw you over, you can work another one day temporary job with neighbors or friend raking leaves, filing or whatever and list them as last employer and refile a third time if you have too.

But then the 1 day employer has to pay the ui benefits for me?

He pays like 1% the other 99% comes from the 13 year employer.All employers pay UI taxes unless it is a temporary job like your neighbor paying you to rake leaves.You would list that as a temporary job.

It was a temp job. It was a 5 hour working interview

So report it as that, don't list you quit here but that they did not offer you permanent job.

O so when I refile I write that there?

Yes you would do so.

Thank you very much ray

Have a blessed day and thanks for rating 5 stars.

Ray, Employment lawyer