Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

As a HR Director, I filed a harassment, discrimination and…

Customer Question
As a HR Director...

As a HR Director, I filed a sexual harassment, discrimination and pay inequity complaint against the CEO to the Board of Directors. The Board of Directors conducted their investigation interviews with staff on Monday, and then conducted their interview questions with the CEO on Tuesday. On Wednesday, he had a coworker contact me and state that "I'm on administrative leave until further notice." When I asked why was I placed on admin leave, was it paid or unpaid leave, and for how long? She said that the CEO did not say and to turn in my keys, cell phone, etc. by tomorrow. I responded that this is retaliation and would be submitted my complaint to the BOD. Since then, he also place our Deputy Director (his second in command) on admin leave too with the same explanation. My question is if I'm on Administrative Leave with no date, no reason, etc. and have to return my keys, cell phone, etc. should I request to get my personal property back when I turn my keys in or wait? I have a subordinate employee who has been trying to get my job since I started there and now she is working the CEO and has been moved in as my replacement (as what was explained to my other staff members). Should I treat this as if i'm terminated and get my property back when I exchange the agency's property? If I do turn in the agency's property, I may not get my personal property back if I am terminated. This is what my subordinate did in the past with the former HR Director.

Lawyer's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page. Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Alaska

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Yes, at-will. No, we are not an union agency. I'm full-time, exempt.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes, I did file a retaliation complaint with the BOD. If nothing comes of it, I will be filing a human rights commission complaint. I just had the one question since this has never happened to me before.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 day by:
11/11/2017
Employment Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 5 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

Your Questions:

My question is if I'm on Administrative Leave with no date, no reason, etc. and have to return my keys, cell phone, etc. should I request to get my personal property back when I turn my keys in or wait?

Response 1: You should request for your personal property since you do not know if you would ever return to your post.

I have a subordinate employee who has been trying to get my job since I started there and now she is working the CEO and has been moved in as my replacement (as what was explained to my other staff members). Should I treat this as if i'm terminated and get my property back when I exchange the agency's property?

Response 2: Yes, you should.

If I do turn in the agency's property, I may not get my personal property back if I am terminated. This is what my subordinate did in the past with the former HR Director.

Response 3: You should get your personal property at the same time.

Best wishes,

A positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law