Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I have been teaching school for 35 years and I am in my

Customer Question
I have been teaching...

I have been teaching school for 35 years and I am in my 36th. Today I was called down to the Principals office and the Principal said, "tell us what happened". I said, "What happened when?" She repeated her comment. I said I don't know what you are talking about. She said, "You choked a child!" I said, "What?" She said a 3rd grader came to her and was crying and said that I choked her. I was shocked. I explained to her what happened. I went to speak to a student and she yelled at me, "I was not talking." I was very surprised by her tone and her response to me. I said young lady you do no talk to a teacher that way. I said let's go. So I took her by the jacket (I believe it was her sleeve but I am not sure exactly where).I escorted her from her chair to another chair and told her to sit there and I would be right back. She began to cry. I went back over and sat her on my lap and asked her what was wrong with the way she spoke to me. We talked for a while and I explained to her that a child does not yell at an adult. I hugged her and told her to go back to her computer. She did and I gave her a tissue. She stopped crying. Administration said that she told her teacher that I chocked her. The teacher sent her to the office. The school has a video camera. They did see the video yet. They said that they had to call her mother. I told them that I am shocked that they would think that I would even do such a horrible thing. They acted as if they were accusing me without any evidence. I went back to teacher my class. After school I went back to the office to see if they found the video. They were working on it. I am livid that they would accuse me. I know for a fact that the video will show that I in no way choked the student. I think this is definitely defamation of character. I have to wait until Monday to find out about the video. I would have never in a million years thought that was the reason that I was called to the office.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full time. No union. It is a charter school.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Employment Law
11/9/2017
Employment Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

Are you asking if you can be defamed by a 9 yr old student?

No I am upset that my administration would take the word of a child over me. That defamed my name.

Thank you for the additional information. I am sorry to hear of the trouble. I can understand how distressing this is for you.

Unfortunately, the school has a legal duty to follow up any report, just as you do, of possible physical abuse. They are mandatory reporters. Likewise, if a child came to you complaining that they were assaulted you would be legally required to follow it up or pass it on.

I would not take it personally, yet, and when they see the tapes I am sure it will be resolved in your favor and they can have a serious discussion with the child and parents about making false accusations.

It is not defamation, however.

I am sorry. I wish I could tell you otherwise, but I do not want you spinning your wheels on this.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!