Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I don’t believe I was fairly evaluated and now I have a

Customer Question
I don’t believe I...

I don’t believe I was fairly evaluated and now I have a severance package in my procession.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you documented this or discussed it with HR?

Yes, I sent my concerns via email and they were never responded to, and I met with a regional VP HR and followed wupneith email and was never followed up on, and now she has been laid off as well

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

I am in TX, and would be considered an at will employee

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am 1 of several persons in this specific role, and I would like to know are they being measured he same way? I feel like I was targeted

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Employment Law
I would also like to know how negotiable is the severance package? I’ve been there 2-Yeas in a Director level role, and they offered 12 weeks.
11/9/2017
Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

Unfortunately, there is no law that requires employers to fairly evaluate employees. The general rule is that employment is "at will" and as can be terminated for any reason not amounting to discrimination on the basis of a legally protected trait (race, religion, gender, etc.) or retaliation for engaging in certain forms of legally protected conduct (filing a wage claim, taking FMLA leave, etc.). It doesn't matter whether the basis for termination is fair, reasonable or even true.

Severance is always negotiable, but unless you have proof that you were terminated because of a protected trait or activity, as defined above, you won't have much leverage to make demands. In fact, your employer is under no oblgiation to pay any severance at all, and at any time they could choose to rescind their offer. So it may be wise to consider how hard you want to push. 12 weeks is a very generous severance package in most circumstance. I don't think there would be much harm in asking for a bit more, but again, I think you probably just want to be careful not to push to hard or to turn this into an antagonistic negotiation.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

* Disclaimer *

Just Answer is a venue for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed by these communications.

Hi Patrick, you should know I received a good revaluation in January 2017.. I then. Wen out I. FMLA for 8-weeks ( feb -march 2017), I received a write-up in June 2017, and severance package in October
Oops evaluation

Thank you. You could certainly try to argue that your termination was retaliation for the FMLA leave you took earlier in the year. However, given that it was three months after you returned that you received the writeup and a full 8 months before you were let go, it might be tough to draw much of a connection. You woudl probably need additional evidence of retaliation, such as negative comments about your use of FMLA leave, or a pattern of retaliating against those who take FMLA. Again, though, you can certainly try to use this to augment your severance. I would be careful not to push too hard, though, as your employer would be free to revoke their offer at any time and the 12 weeks may already be taking into account the litigation risk your employer perceives with regard to FMLA. As stated above, 12 weeks is generally considered to be a generous severance package, barring compelling legal claims that would be waived in exchange for agreeing to it.

Again, please feel free to let me know if you have any further concerns. If I have answered your question, I would be very grateful for a positive rating of my service (using the stars at the top of the page) so that I may receive credit for assisting you.

Was there anything else I can do for you before we wrap up?