Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Thanks so much for responding so quickly. What we are

Customer Question
Thanks so much for...

Thanks so much for responding so quickly. What we are finding out there are lawyers, but they don't call back in a timely manner. My husband is a retired teacher for two years now. In 2001 while teaching, he signed a continuing membership application that said the school will take out union dues for that year. Then MI went to a choice of union or not. Kevin didn't want to be a union member, so he never signed with the union to agree to pay union dues. But, he also never let them know by writing either for whatever reason thinking if he just does not join up they will know he no longer wants to be in the union. Since retiring the union wants those two years worth of dues plus interest.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because education law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Michigan

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

At the time of the application, it was union. Then it went to a choice. Because the pay roll deductions stopped, he stopped paying knowing he was retiring in two years. The application was just to have his employer take out dues at the time.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

When it turned to at will the union sent messages that said you better pay the dues or you won't be a member in good standing. He did not want to be a member so he just did nothing.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 6 days by:
11/16/2017
Employment Lawyer: Amber E., Attorney replied 5 months ago
Amber E.
Amber E., Attorney

Why does the union believe they are entitled to payment?

Are they saying he agreed to pay? Are they saying he was somehow obligated to pay?

At one time he signed an agreedment that the school could take out union dues from his pay check. Once we became a choice state the school could not do that so the union sent a bill for union dues and said you have to pay to stay a member in good standing. He did not want to be part of the union, so he just ignored that directive. He felt if he did nothing, they would know he wasn’t interested. I guess they feel he was ibligated since he did not drop out in writing.
Tina, Lawyer