Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I am an administrator with Jefferson County Public Schools.

Customer Question
I am an administrator...

I am an administrator with Jefferson County Public Schools. I have been accused of falsifying a document over a year ago. My director sent me home for 3 days. Now he is saying he wants to meet next week and I can bring legal counsel. I am on medical leave. Do I have to attend?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed the disciplinary action with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

No. There has been no disciplinary action. I was sent home with pay?

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

I do not belong to a union. I don't know if I an an at will employee

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I know of. When I met with our director, he has me on film speaking to another employee disrespecting my assistant. I apologized for venting because I had done that because of her insubordanation just before that

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/9/2017
Employment Lawyer: Ray, Employment lawyer replied 9 months ago
Ray, Employment lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

Thank you

You need to attend and bring an employment lawyer with you.You may want to file an EEOC complaint if you think this involves age or your disability, , race, age ,etc. Then if they try to terminate you claim EEOC retaliation and file another complaint.A lawyer at this point is a great idea you might be able to back them off from termination or other actions.It also allows you to say less and lawyer will speak for you here.He can limit any questions and argue there is EEOC issues involved.This is serious sounds like they are trying to get rid of you.

I would rather text for now. I just need to know whether I have to attend this meeting while I am on medical. I also plan on retiring in January

Lawyer referral plug in your city

https://www.avvo.com/employment-labor-lawyer.html

Prayers to you I hope you will pursue this matter.

Thanks fo r letting me help and thanks for rating 5 stars.

The EEO laws prohibit punishing job applicants or employees for asserting their rights to be free from employment discrimination including harassment. Asserting these EEO rights is called "protected activity," and it can take many forms. For example, it is unlawful to retaliate against applicants or employees for:

• filing or being a witness in an EEO charge, complaint, investigation, or lawsuit
  • communicating with a supervisor or manager about employment discrimination, including harassment
  • answering questions during an employer investigation of alleged harassment
  • refusing to follow orders that would result in discrimination
  • resisting sexual advances, or intervening to protect others
  • requesting accommodation of a disability or for a religious practice
  • asking managers or co-workers about salary information to uncover potentially discriminatory wages.

Participating in a complaint process is protected from retaliation under all circumstances. Other acts to oppose discrimination are protected as long as the employee was acting on a reasonable belief that something in the workplace may violateEEO laws, even if he or she did not use legal terminology to describe it.

I don't know if I need to go with EEOC. I just need to know if I have to attend this meeting

It is your best job protection.You are at will here, they can terminate you but cannot discriminate.I would argue this is EEOC and any action is then retaliation.These guys are wanting to terminate you, a lawyer here is a great idea if you want to fight for your job . Anytime they tell you to bring a lawyer its because they intend to terminate you.