Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

My spouse is currently out on a short term disability for a…

Customer Question
My spouse is currently...

My spouse is currently out on a short term disability for a medical condition. His employer is notifying us we are no longer eligible for health insurance because of the reduced hours while on disability. The employer asked us to go on short term disability, because they could not offer a light duty work load. Is that legal for an employer to do?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Wisconsin.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

At will, full time

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Employment Law
11/9/2017
Employment Lawyer: John, Employment Lawyer replied 9 months ago
John, Employment Lawyer

Yes, there is no law mandating that the employer keep the employee on health insurance longer than 12 weeks of leave. Nor is there a law that the employer offer light duty work. It could be the case that a reasonable accomodation would have allowed your husband to stay working. If that is the case, then your husband would need to request that accomodation or have a discussion with the employer regarding the same. As it stands now, however, the employer would be mandated only to offer COBRA coverage, at most, which only allows the premiums to be transferred up to 102 % to your husband personally.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers (even though the website already charged you, it does not credit me with the answer unless and until you indicate you are satisfied with the answer). If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. If you do not rate the answer positively, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.