Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I have received a lay off letter just out of the blue. I…

Customer Question
I have received a...

I have received a lay off letter just out of the blue. I have been sent to the us from Italy by my current employer and they got me a 5 years working visa. I was hired on January 3rd 2017 and out of the blue received this letter. They grant me my position until May 31st 2017. I receive 2/3 of my salary from my employer incorporated in NEW JERSEY and 1/3 of my income from the general head quarter in Italy that pays me as consultant. they now ask me aknowledgement of the lay off email that they sent me from Italy on behalf of the NEW JERSEY branch and the ITalian Headquarters. do i have to aknowledgement of this email?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Pls see my reply just sent you

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

I dont know. I'm not familiar with these terms: I have an open contract with the branch based in New Jersey. i work full time as business development manager in Atlanta

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

This is basically it.. i can answer additional questions of course

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Employment Law
11/9/2017
Employment Lawyer: Expert James, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer

Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** have over 12 years of legal experience. Please allow me some time to review your question and to prepare a response.

What type of visa is it?

Why would you not acknowledge it?

E1 visaI just need to know if by law I must acknowledge the receipt of the letter senti via email. They are also requesting formal
Acceptance: i thought that when you are laid off it is obvious that you accept it!

Got it. Thank you. Please give me some time to prepare and provide a response.

Sorry, you received an email from Italy asking you to acknowledge the layoff in New Jersey?

because our global head quarter is based in Italy and 1/3 of my income is sent from them in Italy as consultant fee

OK, what is included in the acknowledgment? What does it say?

They want ME TO ACKNOLEDGE THE 2 emails with which they laid me off (one to be laid off as employee in NJ AND ONE TO BE LAID OFF AS CONSULTANT IN ITALY)
And also to accept it formally. They will keep me full employed until May 31 2018. They don’t explain why the lay me off and they got me here from Italy with a 5 years working visa.

Sir/Madam,

I understand that this is a stressful situation. And I understand everything you are telling me. The reason I ask so many questions is to confirm what we are dealing with. So please do not be frustrated with me. I'm trying to help as much as I can. Thank you for your patience.

Your answer is below. When you get your answers, you will be asked to give a rating - 4 or 5 stars are appreciated. This is important because this is how I credit for doing my job. Don't worry, you can still ask related follow-up questions even after you've given a rating. Thank you!

ANSWER: No, by US or NJ law, you do not have to sign the acknowledgment if it just an acknowledgment of the layoff (but doesn't include legal obligations or other arrangements). But I do not see why you wouldn't; neither your job nor your immigration status will be saved if you don't sign it. And they can very easily just write on the document that you refused to sign the acknowledgment. In the end, it might just look like you are uncooperative, hurting your chances for possible re-hiring in the future.

I hope that answers your questions. Please remember to give me credit for doing my job by clicking on 4 or 5 stars at the top of your screen.

A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today. And remember, you can still ask follow-up questions if you need to.

If you want to talk on the phone, I am available to do that for an additional fee.

And if you have new questions in the future, you should write FOR JAMES in the question. That way, I become your personal Professional.

Thank you!

Sorry no frustration at all with you just trying to provide all the details in very little spaces and time while i’m Going into a meeting with a customer. Can we schedule a phone conversation for later on today?

That's fine. But it is an additional fee. Also, because I cannot be sure you will be back, can you please go ahead and give me that positive rating. You can still ask more questions and request a phone call even if you've already given a rating. Thank you.

Hi, I’m just checking in to see how things are going. I see you have reviewed my answer but I have not received credit for it. Do you need more help? Please respond so that I know what to do next.

Thank you!