Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

In the state of Texas can you collect unemployment if you…

Customer Question
In the state of...

In the state of Texas can you collect unemployment if you resign? Are fired? Terminated for cause? I have been with the company 6 years. They are trying to terminate my employment because they don’t believe I’m being truthful because I don’t recall overhearing two other employees talking about an “inappropriate” topic. Right now on Admin leave until they research the situation.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

I believe Texas is a “right to work” state. No union. Full time. Salary.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Employment Law
11/8/2017
Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

You generally cannot collect benefits if you resign. If you are terminated, you will be eligible for benefits provided you are not terminated for reasons determined to constitute "misconduct." This is a very high standard and I can't imagine suspected untruthfulness regarding something you overheard would possibly rise to that level. That said, each application for benefits is judged on its own facts and so it is impossible to ever state anything with certainty. I would just be very surprised.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

* Disclaimer *

Just Answer is a venue for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed by these communications.