Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I was let go from my job as a apartment service technician…

Customer Question
I was let go...

I was let go from my job as a apartment service technician and in my termination papers which I did not sign, there is a notation that they are holding my remaining personal time off pay of 145 hours @ $17.00 per hour until I moved out of my apartment as long as I didn't cause problems with employees, property, or residents, which I did not. Is it legal for them to do this?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed the termination with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

Haven't talked to anyone in the company for fear of retaliation from them

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

At will non union

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am a person with disabilities I am bipolar and have anxiety problems and am ADHD which are handled by meds and a psychiatrist, and have lower back problems and 3 degenerated discs in my neck. All employees and. Management have been aware of all issues over the 5.5 years I have worked for them.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/7/2017
Employment Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Can you tell me what state this is in?

Michigan

Great, one moment...

Grand Rapids

Ok, so, generally, in your state, the employer is required to pay fringe benefits in accordance with written contract or written policy, if the company policy has a pay-out provision which states that unused time will be paid to you when you separate your employment, then the employer would be obligated to pay you for the unused time. Otherwise, the law does not specifically say that vacation time can be paid out unless it says so in the contract. What other questions did you have for me?

Hello, it’s been awhile since we connected so I wanted to check in with you to see if you had any further before you rated. If you have any other questions or if there is anything else I can assist you with today. Please reply here and let me know.

Legal Eagle, Lawyer