Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I am hiring a virtual assistant overseas on a salary of $600…

Customer Question
I am hiring a virtual...
I am hiring a virtual assistant overseas on a salary of $600 a month I need to send her a contract or a few lines on what the position is in the responsibilities but I want to make sure that it is basically not putting me in a position of liability other than me having a virtual assistant who can be fired it will.
Can I simply send her an email advising that I am hiring her as a contractual virtual assistant. Again I want to make it very clear that it’s just a monthly position and does not provide me or put me into a situation where my liabilities other than just being her for services rendered every month and that employment can be terminated at will.What should be the language to be used in the email to make sure that arrangement is very clear
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Employment Law
11/7/2017
Employment Lawyer: KLAW, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
KLAW
KLAW, Lawyer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site, the answers are for general information. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

You should have a written signed agreement with the foreign contractor, not just an email. This is an important step to specify terms of this unique work relationship.

The agreement should clearly state the scope of services and compensation, that the person is hired on a month to month basis, to prevent future disputes. The agreement should establish a contractor status by showing independence and a lack of control in how a contractor performs the work.

You might also consider adding clauses about how to resolve disputes when they arise. When multiple countries are involved in the work relationship, selecting governing laws of the US can save a great deal of time and resources in future litigations. You can also choose to have alternative dispute resolutions, such as mediation or arbitration, instead of lengthy litigations in courts. Make sure to check if the contractor’s country of origin requires the use of local laws and courts in the work agreement to protect their workers.

Keep in mind that if your foreign-based independent contractor is a non-U.S. citizen and all work will be performed outside the country, your remote worker will need to complete a Form W-8BEN as documentation. Assuming the contractor meets the criteria and properly fills out the form, their wages as nonresident aliens likely won’t be subject to withholding.

I hope this helps.

It was a pleasure assisting you today, and I would appreciate if you would rate my service, so I will receive credit and payment for my work. After you rate the question you can ask follow up questions, and you will not be charged any additional money for the follow-up questions.

​Here is a sample contract for you to use which includes language you should use in your agreement.

INDEPENDENT CONTRACTOR AGREEMENT

This independent contractor agreement (the “Agreement”) is made and entered into as of [DATE OF AGREEMENT] (the “Effective Date”) between [NAME OF COMPANY] (the “Company”), a [STATE][TYPE OF COMPANY], and [NAME OF CONTRACTOR], a [STATE][TYPE OF COMPANY] (the “Contractor”) (collectively, the “Parties”).

The Company requests the Contractor to perform services for it and may request the Contractor to perform other services in the future; and

The Parties therefore agree as follows:

1.0.Term and Termination.

1.1. This Agreement takes effect immediately as of the Effective Date, and remains in full force and effect until the Contractor has completed the Services (the "Term"), unless earlier terminated under this Section 1.

1.2. Either Party may terminate this Agreement for cause by providing the other Party written notice if the other Party: (i) is in material breach of this Agreement and has failed to cure such breach within five (5) days after its receipt of written notice of such breach provided by the non-breaching Party; (ii) engages in any unlawful business practice related to that Party's performance under the Agreement; or (iii) files a petition for bankruptcy, becomes insolvent, acknowledges its insolvency in any manner, ceases to do business, makes an assignment for the benefit of its creditors, or has a receiver, trustee or similar party appointed for its property.

2.0.Contractor Services.

2.1. During the Term, the Company may engage the Contractor to provide the following services as needed (the "Services"), or other such services as mutually agreed upon in writing by the Parties (email is acceptable):

2.2. The Contractor shall provide the necessary equipment to perform the Services. If the Contractor has obtained employees or agents (the "Contractor Personnel"), the Contractor shall be solely responsible for all costs associated with the Contractor Personnel.

Describe all of the services the contractor is expected to perform under this agreement, or otherwise reference an attached schedule of services.

2.3 As a result of providing the Services, the Contractor or Contractor Personnel may create certain work product (the "Work Product").

2.4. The Contractor shall notify the Company of any change(s) to the Contractor’s schedule that could adversely affect the availability of the Contractor, whether known or unknown at the time of this Agreement, no later than _____ prior to such change(s). If the Contractor becomes aware of such change(s) within the ____ period, the Contractor shall promptly notify the Company of such change(s) within a reasonable amount of time.

2.5. The work performed by the Contractor shall be performed at the following rate: _______________. The Contractor shall issue invoices to the Company's accounts payable department within ___ days of completing the Services, unless otherwise instructed by the Company, and provide documentation as instructed by the Company's accounts payable department. The Company shall remit payment to the Contractor within ___ days of receiving the invoice from the Contractor.

2.6. The Company shall not be responsible for federal, state and local taxes derived from the Contractor's net income or for the withholding and/or payment of any federal, state and local income and other payroll taxes, workers' compensation, disability benefits or other legal requirements applicable to the Contractor.

3.0.Independent Contractor Status.

3.1. The Parties intend that the Contractor and any Contractor Personnel be engaged as independent contractors of Company. Nothing contained in this Agreement will be construed to create the relationship of employer and employee, principal and agent, partnership or joint venture, or any other fiduciary relationship.

3.2. The Contractor may not act as agent for, or on behalf of, the Company, or to represent the Company, or bind the Company in any manner.

3.3. The Contractor will not be entitled to worker's compensation, retirement, insurance or other benefits afforded to employees of the Company.

4.0.Ownership.

4.1. The Parties intend that, to the extent the Work Product or a portion of the Work Product qualifies as a "work made for hire," within the definition of Section 101 of the Copyright Act of the United States (17 U.S.C. § 101), it will be so deemed a work made for hire. If the Work Product or any portion of the Work Product does not qualify as work made for hire, and/or as otherwise necessary to ensure the Company's complete ownership of all rights, titles and interest in the Work Product, the Contractor shall transfer and assign to the Company all rights, titles and interests throughout the world in and to any and all Work Product. This transfer and assignment includes, but is not limited to, the right to publish, distribute, make derivative works of, edit, alter or otherwise use the Work Product in any way the Company sees fit.

4.2. The Company grants the Contractor, a limited, non-exclusive, non-transferable, non-assignable, royalty free, worldwide license to display the Work Product on a platform personally controlled, in whole or in part, by the Contractor. The Company may revoke this license at any time by requesting the removal of the Work Product displayed by the Contractor. Upon such request, the Contractor shall remove the Work Product from the platform, and provide written notification of such removal.

5.0. Representations. Both Parties represent that they are fully authorized and empowered to enter into this Agreement, and that the performance of the obligations under this Agreement will not violate or infringe upon the rights of any third-party, or violate any agreement between the Parties and any other person, firm or organization or any law or governmental regulation.

6.0. Indemnification. The Contractor shall indemnify and hold harmless the Company, its affiliates, and its respective officers, directors, agents and employees from any and all claims, demands, losses, causes of action, damage, lawsuits, judgments, including attorneys’ fees and costs, arising out of, or relating to, the Contractor’s services under this Agreement.

7.0.Confidential Information.

7.1 Each Party (on its behalf and on behalf of its subcontractors, employees or representatives, or agents of any kind) agrees to hold and treat all confidential information of the other Party, including, but not limited to, trade secrets, sales figures, employee and customer information and any other information that the receiving Party reasonably should know is confidential (“Confidential Information”) as confidential and protect the Confidential Information with the same degree of care as each Party uses to protect its own Confidential Information of like nature.

7.2 Confidential Information does not include any information that (i) at the time of the disclosure or thereafter is lawfully obtained from publically available sources generally known by the public (other than as a result of a disclosure by the receiving Party or its representatives); (ii) is available to the receiving Party on a non-confidential basis from a source that is not and was not bound by a confidentiality agreement with respect to the Confidential Information; or (iii) has been independently acquired or developed by the receiving Party without violating its obligations under this Agreement or under any federal or state law.

8.0. Liability. EXCEPT WITH RESPECT TO THE PARTIES’ INDEMNIFICATION OBLIGATIONS, NEITHER PARTY SHALL BE LIABLE TO THE OTHER FOR ANY SPECIAL, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, PUNITIVE, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING FROM OR RELATED TO THIS AGREEMENT, INCLUDING BODILY INJURY, DEATH, LOSS OF REVENUE, OR PROFITS OR OTHER BENEFITS, AND CLAIMS BY ANY THIRD PARTY, EVEN IF THE PARTIES HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. THE FOREGOING LIMITATION APPLIES TO ALL CAUSES OF ACTION IN THE AGGREGATE, INCLUDING WITHOOUT LIMITATION TO BREACH OF CONTRACT, BREACH OF WARRANTY, NEGLIGENCE, STRICT LIABILITY, AND OTHER TORTS.

9.0. Disclaimer of Warranty. THE WARRANTIES CONTAINED HEREIN ARE THE ONLY WARRANTIES MADE BY THE PARTIES HEREUNDER. EACH PARTY MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTY, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, AND EXPRESSLY EXCLUDES AND DISCLAIMS ALL OTHER WARRANTIES AND REPRESENTATIONS OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING ANY WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITLE, AND NON-INFRINGEMENT. THE COMPANY DOES NOT PROVIDE ANY WARRANTY THAT OPERATION OF ANY SERVICES HEREUNDER WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED OR ERROR-FREE.

10.0 Miscellaneous Provisions.

10.1. This Agreement, and any accompanying appendices, duplicates, or copies, constitutes the entire agreement between the Parties with respect to the subject matter of this Agreement, and supersedes all prior negotiations, agreements, representations, and understandings of any kind, whether written or oral, between the Parties, preceding the date of this Agreement.

10.2. This Agreement may be amended only by written agreement duly executed by an authorized representative of each party (email is acceptable).

10.3. If any provision or provisions of this Agreement shall be held unenforceable for any reason, then such provision shall be modified to reflect the parties’ intention. All remaining provisions of this Agreement shall remain in full force and effect for the duration of this Agreement.

10.4. This Agreement shall not be assigned by either party without the express consent of the other party.

10.5. A failure or delay in exercising any right, power or privilege in respect of this Agreement will not be presumed to operate as a waiver, and a single or partial exercise of any right, power or privilege will not be presumed to preclude any subsequent or further exercise, of that right, power or privilege or the exercise of any other right, power or privilege.

10.6. This Agreement is be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the United States, State of ­­­­­­­­­­­­[JURISDICTION STATE] without reference to any principles of conflicts of laws, which might cause the application of the laws of another state or country. Any action instituted by either party arising out of this Agreement will only be brought, tried and resolved in the applicable federal or state courts having jurisdiction in the State of ­[JURISDICTION STATE]. EACH PARTY HEREBY CONSENTS TO THE EXCLUSIVE PERSONAL JURISDICTION AND VENUE OF THE COURTS, STATE AND FEDERAL, HAVING JURISDICTION IN THE STATE OF ­­­­­­­­­­­[JURISDICTION STATE].

The Parties are signing this Agreement on the date stated in the introductory clause.

COMPANY NAME

By: _________________________________

Name:

Title:

CONTRACTOR NAME

By:_________________________________

Name:

Title:

If you have any other questions please just ask