Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I have a friend who was fired a week after he spoke up at a…

Customer Question
I have a friend...

I have a friend who was fired a week after he spoke up at a meeting the reason for the firing was a lie and there is documentation to back it up. My question is this considered wrongful termination or retaliation

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Mass

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

At will full time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The friend is black hispanic an he was the only black man working there

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Employment Law
11/7/2017
Employment Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 7 months ago
Roy Hadavi

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with extensive labor law experience. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Answer: It is hard to answer that question without more detail, but I will explain the concepts so that you may better assess the situation.

Massachusetts is an at-will employment state. That means that either you or the employer can terminate the employment relationship at any time for any reason or no reason at all. The limitation is that employers cannot terminate an employee for an illegal reason, such as discrimination or retaliation for exercising an employee's legal right.

Wrongful termination occurs when an employer terminates an employee for an illegal reason, such as discrimination. Retaliation occurs when an employee exercises a legal right (such as FMLA leave, requesting an ADA accommodation, or reporting an employer for a labor violation) and the employer negatively impacts the employee's employment (such as reducing hours, reducing benefits or terminating employment).

Rating & Additional Questions: Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please do not rate my service. Please ask me as many questions as you need, until you feel I have earned an excellent rating. There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating! A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.