Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Tina, The roofing company owes me back wages from sales

Customer Question
Second opinion] Good afternoon...

Second opinion] Good afternoon Tina, The roofing company owes me back wages from sales made. He is not willing to pay me and has put me off for over 6 weeks, what can I do to obtain my money?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

The manager,HR owner are the same individual. I cannot afford counsel,

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

No, 1099 salesperson

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I was driving a company vehicle and wearing a company shirt and badge, if that matters' I have since returned all the mentioned

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/6/2017
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 6 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

You have a right to sue for breach of contract that is one option. However, if you were misclassified as an independent contractor, which it sounds like you were, then you can file a complaint to the US Department of Labor wage and hour division or state department of labor wage and hour division about being misclassified and they will sanction the employer and will pursue your wage claim plus up to 3 times the wages due for bad faith non-payment of wages plus intentional misclassifying you as a independent contractor when you were an employee.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney